How can I get sick?
- Accidentally eating dirt that has roundworms* from cat or dog poop.
- It is rare but you can get roundworms* from eating undercooked meat that has the parasite*.
Symptoms in humans:
Many people who get roundworm* do not show any symptoms or do not look sick, but some people can become sick especially dog or cat owners.
- Fever (when your body is much hotter than normal)
- Stomach pain
- Throwing up
What can I do to stay healthy?
- Clean your pets living area such as your backyard at least once a week or daily. ALWAYS wash your hands after cleaning animal poop or touching animals.
- Wash your hands with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds. Make sure to scrub your thumbs, between your fingers and the tops and bottoms of your hands. Dry your hands with a paper towel.
- Make sure to cover sandboxes when they are not being used to keep animals from getting inside and using it.
- Make sure to wash your hands after playing with pets or other animals.
- Proper Handwashing – Wash your hands with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds. Make sure to scrub your thumbs, between your fingers and the tops and bottoms of your hands. Dry your hands with a paper towel.
- Do not eat dirt, soil, or sand.
- Take your pets to the veterinarian to prevent roundworms.
- Parasite: A parasite is an organism that lives on or inside another organism, called a host. Parasites can cause diseases in humans or animals.
- Roundworm: A small worm that lives inside the bodies of humans and animals.