How can I get sick?
The hookworm parasites are spread from an infected* animal’s poop which ends up going onto the ground or in the grass.
- Unprotected skin. A person can get hookworms by walking on the ground barefoot where there are hookworms or by sitting on the ground where there are hookworms.
Symptoms in humans:
Early symptoms are:
- Rash in the area where the hookworm is
A person that doesn’t have a lot of hookworms might not have any symptoms. A person with a bad infection could have the following:
- Stomach pain
- Diarrhea (runny poop)
- Not feeling hungry
- Weight Loss
- Feeling very tired
What can I do to stay healthy?
- Do not walk barefoot in areas where hookworm is common such as dirt where an animal poops.
- Do not touch dirt where an animal poops and do not swallow dirt.
- Infected: When germs get inside of a body, animal, or an organism.
- Larvae: Early development stage of an animal, which occurs after birth and before reaching the adult form.