How can I get sick?
- Breathing fungal spores, often from dirt that has bat or bird poop in it. A person can breathe in the dust or fungus and become infected.
Symptoms in humans:
Some people may not have any symptoms while others may have the following:
- Fever (when your body gets a little hotter than normal)
- Feeling very tired
- Chills (feeling of being cold and shivering)
- Chest pain
- Body pain
90% of people who get Histoplasmosis don’t have any symptoms or have mild symptoms.
What can I do to stay healthy?
- Don’t breathe in dust from chicken coops, caves, during remodel or construction or anywhere where bird or bat poop is found.
- Wear a mask when exploring caves or cleaning chicken coops.
- Fungus: A simple organism, or living thing, that is neither a plant nor an animal